MEDICINE SCHOOL PALACE
At present this building harbors the Mexican Medicine Museum. Was designed and built by Pedro de Arrieta, Senior Master of the Holy Office. It was constructed from 1732 to 1736. The building was for 84 years the Holy Oficce Tribunal headquarter until its definetely closing in 1820.
It also was temporarily the City Archbishop, the National Lottery, a basic school and a military barracks. In 1854 became the Medicine school and stayed so for almost a hundred years. In 1956 the Medicine school was transfered to the University City of the National Autonomus University of México (UNAM), the building was restored and in 1980 The Mexican Medicine Museum was inaugurated.
PALACE OF MINING
It´s the master piece of the neoclassicism in America. It was designed and built from 1797 to 1813 by the sculptor and architect Manuel Tolsá to harbor the Royal Seminar of Mining and the Royal Tribunal of Mining.
It was one of the first buildings designed to teach Engineering and metallurgy, the most important economic activity in the New Spain and one of the main richness resource of the Spanish Empire.
In 1867 became the Special School of Engineers and remained there for almost a hundred years in this building. Nowadays its part of the artistic and cultural heritage of the National Autonomus University of México under the guard of the Engineering faculty.