Venues

PALACE OF THE SCHOOL OF MEDICINE

Also known as the Ancient Palace of the Inquisition, it was designed and built by architect Pedro de Arrieta, Master Builder of the Holy Office. Its building began in 1732 and concluded in 1736 and became the official seat of the Tribunal of the Holy Office for 84 years, until its abolition in 1820. It was later occupied by the Archbishopric of the City, the National Lottery, a primary school, and served as military barracks. In 1854, the School of Medicine was installed in the building and remained there for almost one hundred years. In 1956, the building was restored under the administration of the National Autonomous University of Mexico. Since 1980, this beautiful Baroque building hosts the Museum of Mexican Medicine. It is located in República de Venezuela No. 22, in the Historical Center of Mexico City.

PALACE OF MINES

Considered a masterpiece of American Neoclassicism, it was designed and built between 1797 and 1813 by the Valencian sculptor and architect Manuel Tolsá to house the Royal Mining Seminary and the Royal Mining Court. The Palace of Mines was one of the first buildings designed for the teaching of engineering and metallurgy, the main economic activity of New Spain and one of the most important sources of wealth of the Spanish Empire. In 1867, it housed the Special School of Engineers, which remained for almost one hundred years in this building. At present, it is part of the artistic and cultural heritage of the National Autonomous University of Mexico and is under the protection of the Faculty of Engineering. It is located in Tacuba No. 5, in the Historical Center of Mexico City.